Neon vs. LED Signs: Which is better?
Between LED and neon signs, which one is the better choice? LEDs and neons are two of the most commonly used business signs that you can purchase right now. Both can produce attractive colors and have bright lights. But do you know which one to choose?
Both LED and neon signs have their advantages in specific categories. For instance, LED signs are much more efficient in energy use than neon signs. If you’re looking for business signs with an extended life then neon signs are the better option.
Both neon and LED neon signs can be eye-catching. Still, one is a better choice than the other, depending on the category. Do you require a less expensive sign or a more vibrant one? Do you prefer an energy-efficient business sign? We’ve made a comparison between neon vs. LED neon signs for your quick reference.
What are neon indicators?
Neon lights are a kind of light bulb that’s extremely reliable and long-lasting. It’s almost like a fluorescent light. They are composed of long bent fluorescent gas discharge tube tubes which have been heated and bent in various forms.
Custom-designed neon signs have been around from the 1920s until the 1960s. With the introduction of LED technology, they went obsolete in the 1990s. Neon signs can be seen in blue, yellow, and green along with white.
These colors are made by mixing argon gas with a small amount of mercury. The atoms get brighter as an electric current passes through the tube electrodes.
Benefits of Neon Signs
- The neon sign can be utilized for longer periods. The gas used in neon signs will last at least 15 years before replacing it.
- Temperature Resistant– The neon signs can withstand extreme and low temperatures, including snow, rain, and sun. Neon signs with high quality don’t heat.
- Many Color Options Neon signs provide many colors. You can create almost any color and shade.
- Compatible with Other Materials It is possible to combine neon signs with other materials like glass and plastic. Due to its low temperature for heating, the neon sign is simple to mix with other elements.
Disadvantages of Neon Signs
- The Lifespan of Electrical Parts may not last as long as. The components which are electrically connected to neon lights, such as the transformer will last less time. Therefore, it is always advisable to consider investing in a more durable transformer.
- More Expensive The cost of neon signage for a business will depend on the size and the complexity of the design. A neon sign is more expensive than a LED sign.
- more expensive to operate operating neon lights is less expensive than LED signs. A typical LED sign would cost around $80 per year to operate, but a distinctive neon sign would cost around $228 per year. This is just a general comparison. Prices can vary based on the quantity you’ll use and the price of electricity drops.
What Are LED Signs?
LED is an abbreviation of “light-emitting diode” which refers to a device that emits light. The individual Light Emitting Diodes come in small groups and are secured by a strong plastic backing. They can be bent into any shape you’d like. It can also be cut to the length you require for your business sign.
Benefits of LED Signs
- Energy Efficient LED lights consume much less energy than traditional incandescent lighting, as much as 75 percent less. In addition, they consume less energy than neon signs.
- Lower Cost More LED business signs are approximately 10% less costly to create and purchase than neon signs.
- Flexibility in use – It’s impossible to change the neon sign once you have installed it. It is possible to alter the LED display as frequently as you want using any message you choose.
- Power Usage LED displays use 5 to 10 times less energy than neon signs and can result in substantial cost savings over the long term.
- Maintenance – It is essential to replenish neon tubes’ gasses and this is best left to an (expensive) expert. LED signs don’t require maintenance, which is why they are low maintenance.
Disadvantages Of LED Signs
- Not as bright – Neon signs are more luminous than LED lights. But it is not as vivid as neon signs.
- Do Not Cut Through Fog LED signs will not cut through the fog as well as traditional neon signs.
Neon Vs. LED Signs – Which Is the Best?
Let’s get to the important points. First, let’s look at an in-depth look at the distinctions between neon and LED signs. We will then determine which option is best between neon and LED signs. LED signs.
Neon vs. Costs for LED Signs
While the initial costs for LED and neon lights are the same, LED lights tend to be more affordable. But, the price of both LEDs and neons depends on the dimensions and design you select. When it comes to the cost differences between neon and LED signs, it’s all based on the amount of light you intend to apply.
For large outdoor displays, LED prices are around 10 percent lower than neon signage. It is worth considering whether the savings on costs are worth the investment.
Neon Vs. Neon vs. LED Signs: Use of Power Usage
While customized neon signs require less power, they require more voltage than LED signs. In the end, LED lights consume less energy than neon lights, making them the most energy-efficient lighting option or alternative to signage.
Large neon displays could require as much as 15,000 V for operation however LEDs only require 24 V to function. If you’re thinking of putting on an outdoor event that massive and is debating between LED and neon, LEDs can help you save money in the long run.
The actual cost of running neon and LED lighting for a sign or small light display is similar. There’s a very small cost difference between running LED and neon lighting for small signs or light displays. It is also important to note that energy efficiency can be measured in amperage. A standard neon sign requires less than 1 amp.
Neon is different from. LED Signs: Maintenance
LED signage is easy to maintain and needs minimal operating costs. Neon signage can be more difficult to maintain in colder climates where ice or snow can be an issue. Additionally, the cost of maintenance is high because a specialist has to be consulted.
Neon Vs. Safety Signs with LEDs
Since neon signs employ high-voltage and authentic glass tubing, there’s always the risk of shattering, necessitating special disposal procedures. However, LEDs are shockproof and produce minimal heat, making them entirely safe to use. LED signage is also free of harmful components like mercury and phosphor.
Neon Vs. Neon vs. LED Signs Brightness
LED signs emit more cool and less attractive illumination than neon signage. Neon signs, on the other hand, are brighter and easier to see when you are farther away.
Neon Vs. LED Signs: Accessibility
Neon signs are available in various colors and can be designed in many different ways. They can be used to assist you in any way that is possible, and they are extremely reliable.
Neon Vs. Neon Vs. LED Signs Curb Appeal
The light that neon signs emit is warm and friendly which is the reason why they’ve remained very popular with corporations across the world. The neon light evokes the glamour and elegance of the past. However, LED lights can appear harsh and stiff to the eye despite their stunning.
Here are some additional outdoor business signs to advertise your company.
Neon Vs. LED Signs – Which is Best?
Neon vs. LED is the main factor in deciding between them. LED neon signs is understanding their function. Neon signs are an excellent alternative if your business has an old-fashioned look and needs a unique sign but you aren’t concerned about the expense. But, custom neon signs are the most effective option if you want your signs to be outside and have a neon effect but without the expense.
It is important to choose the correct type of sign for your company. We’ve got experienced business sign designers and installers if you’re struggling to decide. Our decades of experience, the latest equipment, and expertise will make it easy to design a sign that is suitable for your business.